The 20 Most Expensive Yachts
With big money comes big boats. The most expensive yachts in the world are not only massive, they have amenities and embellishments that put many mansions to shame. For example, the most expensive yacht in the world, the History Supreme, has a genuine T-rex bone! This infographic by Staten Island Yacht Sales explores the most lavish, incredible yachts and the people who own them:
Click the image to expand
What is the most expensive yacht in the world?
The world's most expensive yacht is the History Supreme, which is worth $4.8 billion. The History Supreme is a 100-foot superyacht that took three years to build using 22,000 pounds (10,000 kilograms) of solid gold and platinum. The dining area, rails, and anchor of the most expensive yacht are adorned with priceless metals and the base of the vessel is enveloped in pure gold. The master suite boasts a meteorite rock wall, a statue crafted from authentic Tyrannosaurus Rex bones, a 150-pound, 24-karat gold panoramic wall aquarium.
Who designed the History Supreme? The History Supreme was designed by Stuart Hughes , who is a renowned creator of luxury goods such as phones, Apple Watch cases, and model cars. He transforms electronics into extravagant treasures by wrapping them in gold, leather, and diamonds. In 2011, he created a $9.4 million dollar iPhone 4S that featured 500 impeccable diamonds and a gold navigation button with an interchangeable 8.6-karat diamond or 7.4-karat pink diamond.
Who owns the History Supreme? The History Supreme is owned by Robert Kuok, the richest man in Malaysia. According to Forbes, he has a net worth of an estimated $11.1 billion, which makes him the 104th richest man in the world. He owns Kuok group, which is involved in hotels, real estate, and commodities. He founded the internationally esteemed Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts chain in Singapore in 1971.
Is the History Supreme a Hoax?
Some sources believe this yacht never existed and is nothing more than an elaborate hoax fabricated by the supposed designer: Stuart Hughes.
Here are the 20 most expensive yachts in the world and who currently owns them:
- History Supreme ($4.8 billion) - Robert Kuok, business magnate and wealthiest man in Malaysia
- Eclipse ($1.5 billion) - Roman Abramovich, Russian-Israeli businessman and politician
- Streets of Monaco ($1.1 billion) - No owner yet, concept yacht currently in development
- Azzam ($600 million) - Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nayan, president of the United Arab Emirates
- A+ ($527 million) - Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates
- Motor Yacht A ($440 million) - Andrey Melnichenko, Russian billionaire and philanthropist
- Dubai ($400 million) - Sheik Mohammed Rashid al-Maktoum, ruler of Dubai
- Serene ($330 million) - Mohammed bin Salman, crown prince of Saudi Arabia
- Radiant ($320 million) - Abdulla Al Futtaim, Emirati billionaire and owner of Al-Futtaim Group
- Al Said ($300 million) - Haitham bin Tariq Al Said, Sultan of Oman
- Pelorus ($300 million) - Samuel Tak Lee, Chinese billionaire and property magnate
- Dilbar ($256 million) - Alisher Usmanov, Russian oligarch who built wealth through metal and mining operations
- Al Mirqab ($250 million) - Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, former prime minister of Qatar
- Lady Moura ($210 million) - Alberto Bailleres, Mexican billionaire businessman, chairman of Grupo BAL
- Octopus ($200 million) - Paul Allen, Microsoft co-founder
- The Rising Sun ($200 million) - David Geffen, American business magnate, founder of Dreamworks
- Ecstasea ($200 million) - Alshair Fiyaz, Belgian entrepreneur and investor
- Solandge ($180 million) - No current owner
- Aviva ($150 million) - Joe Lewis, British businessman and investor
- Lionhart ($150 million) - Sir Philip Green, British businessman (former owner of Topshop, Topman, and Miss Selfridge)
Update 10/28/2021:It has been a mysterious rumor since 2018, but the world may finally have seen its first collective glimpse of the $500 million dollar mega-yacht commissioned by Jeff Bezos. Fitting for one of the world's richest people, the massive vessel called Y721 breaks numerous records including being the largest sailing yacht in the world. Designed by Dutch builder Oceanco, this elusive mega-yacht was seen for the first time last week where it is being built in a shipyard in Zwijndrecht, Netherlands. The 417ft sailing yacht features a completely black hull, multiple decks, and three massive sails. It is expected to be finished and on its maiden voyage sometime in 2022.